Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cha...cha...cha...changes!

First let me start by saying I had several complements today at church, YEA! It was nice to hear that some have noticed a change in my appearance. A big thank you to everyone that said something, it really made my day!

I have been thinking about the changes I have made in my lifestyle and wanted to share some with you. Let's start with what I have been eating. The first week Christy had me keep a food diary and after she looked at it she noticed that I was not eating often enough. I was going up to 5 hours between meals. SO I have started eating every 2 to 3 hours. I have noticed that this helps with portion control. Here is what a typical day of food looks like.

7am    1/2 cup whole grain cereal with 1% milk and about a cup of mixed berries on the side
9am    1/4 cup granola with berries and nuts
11am  Turkey lettuce wrap or sandwich on 100% whole wheat with provolone cheese & mustard. I
           will sometimes put lettuce, avocado, onion, tomato if I'm in the mood and have them around.
2pm    Fiber bar
5pm    4 oz. chicken breast (boiled in frying pan), 1/2 cup pasta (Smart taste brand), 2 Tbs. tomato
           sauce.
           1 Cup salad with radishes and homemade Italian dressing.
Sometimes I will have fruit for dessert to satisfy my sweet tooth.      
If I feel hungry after dinner I will drink water or sometimes I have a small glass of 1% milk.

The changes in food I have made are... I use to eat pancakes with butter and syrup or biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I rarely had a morning snack. Then lunch was some kind of fried chicken or burger and fries. Then a sweet treat, like ice cream or chocolate anything, for an afternoon snack. Dinner has not changed too much. We LOVE pasta so we eat pasta a few times a week. I just make sure we have veggies to go with it and I eat more veggies than pasta.
I grew up in Southeastern Oklahoma and was raised on fried foods and red meat so these types of food have been somewhat of a struggle for me to pass up.  I still love burgers but eat turkey burgers at home and I try to have fresh bell peppers or other veggies as a side to replace the crunch of chips or fries. We also like Mexican food but now I eat corn tortillas instead of flour, I use less cheese and I load up on veggies.

I use to drink a lot of soda and didn't focus on drinking much water. Now I drink water or tea. I do sip on my husbands soda sometimes but one or two sips usually get me over my craving. I'm still working on drinking more water. I usually forget to stay hydrated and as a result I get muscle cramps. I have gotten better but still not up to the recommended daily amount. Christy told me to ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me wherever I go...that's a great tip!

As far as working out... Meeting up with Christy has been a great way to make sure I get a workout in. This past week I did a workout by myself and I figured out that if I set a time to workout I'm more likely to actually do it. Since I've started Killing it With Kilgore I would say, "Ok, I'm going to workout on Friday." Then before I knew it Friday was over and I didn't workout. When Christy and I had plans to workout one day but had to go with "Plan B" due to weather, she emailed me a workout and told me to still get up and workout at 7am. It was one of those morning where your day starts off all wrong but since I had already scheduled my workout I made sure that I did it. If I hadn't planned on working out at a certain time I'm pretty sure the day would have gotten away from me and I would have missed another workout. 

I hope that this has helped those of you who would like to make changes but don't know where to start. I'm so happy with all the changes I have made and I often find myself thinking...Why did I not do this sooner? AND Why was I being so mean to my body by feeding it unhealthy food and being lazy? I hope that everyone can find a "Christy" to help them get up and get moving in the right direction!






No comments:

Post a Comment